“QAPP” brings together 2 Universities, 2 SME companies and 1 Food Research Institute:
- Lab of Microbiology and Biotechnology of Foods Agricultural University of Athens [AUA]
- Laboratory of Food Microbiology and Hygiene, Dept.of Food Science & Technology, Faculty of Agriculture Aristotle University [AUTh]
- Institute of Technology of Agricultural Products – Hellenic Agricultural Organization – DEMETER [ITAP]
- KOTINO S.A. [KOTI]
- VERTOYO O.E. [VERT]
The Agricultural University of Athens (AUA) is the third oldest university in Greece. Since 1920, it has been making valuable contributions to Greek agricultural and economic development, by conducting basic and applied research in the agricultural sciences.
Τhe Laboratory of Microbiology and Biotechnology of Foods is one of five laboratories of the Food Science & Human Nutrition Department of the Agricultural University of Athens (AUA) and was founded in 1994. Apart from its educational contribution, the Laboratory of Microbiology & Biotechnology of Foods is active in the following research thematic areas:
- Studies related to pathogenic and spoilage microorganisms of foods.
- Food microbial ecology.
- Methods for the qualitative and quantitative determination and characterization of microorganisms related to foods.
- Hygiene in the food industry.
- Technology of fermented foods and starter cultures production.
- Applications of biotechnological methods for development of: novel food-production techniques, creation of nutritional valuable food products, and evaluation and exploitation of by- products of food industry.
The Hellenic Agricultural Organization ELGO-DIMITRA (former Greek Milk and Meat Organization) is an organization operating under private law, but for public benefit. It was established in 2011 by merging
the following four organizations: i) O.G.E.E.K.A- DIMITRA, Organization of Agricultural Vocational
Education Training and Employment, ii) AGROCERT - Organization for Certification and Inspection of Agricultural Products, iii) N.AG.RE.F. - National Agricultural Research Foundation and iv) ELOGAK, Greek Milk and Meat
Organization. ELGO-DIMITRA has general competences and powers, which exercise in accordance with JMD No 188763/10−10−2011 (Government Gazette 2284/B/13-10-2011).
ELGO-DIMITRA's object is to conduct research, promote innovation and technology, disseminate knowledge, provide consulting services as well as vocational education and training in all sectors of the agro-food chain, ensure the quality of agricultural products and food, the application of good agricultural practices and control in the milk and meat production chain in the country.
The Institute of Agricultural Technology is the only research institute in the wider public sector that deals with the quality, safety, maintenance and processing of food of plant and animal origin and has 3 accredited laboratories of microbiological, physics-chemical analysis and for the detection of genetic modification in agricultural products. A significant number of European and national programs have been implemented at the Institute or are currently in progress. Through these projects, the Institute has developed collaborations with many Universities and Research Centers in Greece and abroad and with the Greek food industry. The results of the research have been published in international and domestic journals and have been announced in conference proceedings.
The Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTh) is the largest Greek university. The main campus is located in the city center and covers an area of approximately 430,000 m2, while some of its facilities, whether educational or administrative, are located outside the campus or in other cities.
In total, it comprises 10 faculties, which consist of 40 Departments and 1 single-School Faculty.
There are 61 Clinics (Medicine, Dentistry, and Veterinary Medicine), 295 institutes and 23 Schools. The Central Library of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, one of the largest in the Balkans, together with the 45 regional libraries of the Departments and Schools (17 of which are institutionalized) constitute the library system of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
The AUTh operates 41 undergraduate programs and 92 postgraduate programs in individual departments, as well as interdisciplinary, inter-university and international. There are also 23 collaborations with foreign Institutes for the preparation of doctoral dissertations, Greek and foreign doctoral candidates with co-supervision.
Currently, 73,930 students attend the Schools and its Departments, of which 65,026 attend undergraduate programs and 8,472 postgraduate programs (of which 3,952 are PhD candidates).
There are 2,024 faculty members, 248 members of the Laboratory Teaching Personnel and 53 people as Special Teaching Personnel. Another 134 members of the Special Technical Laboratory Personnel assist the educational work. The administration office consists of 245 permanent employees and 294 employees under a private law contract of indefinite duration.
The Aristotle University of Thessaloniki is a contractor of major competitive European and national programs, as well as a recipient of direct and private funding for research. The Research Committee of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki has managed a total of more than 6,000 projects over the last decade, funded by national, European and international organizations. These projects are presented in a concise way and relate to research, educational and scientific services projects that have been or are currently being implemented with the scientific responsibility of the faculty members from 2002 onwards through the Special Account for Research Grants of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
The history of the Laboratory of Food Microbiology and Hygiene dates back to 1990 and it belongs to the Department of Food Science and Technology. Following its foundation, the lab was then staffed with existing scientific and technical personnel, which already had specialized knowledge and long experience in this field.
Fields of knowledge
- Food Microbiology
- Food Hygiene and Safety
- Dairy Microbiology
- Food Quality Control
- Microbiology of traditional products, Microflora of traditional milk products
- Biochemical activity of LAB and other microorganisms from milk
- Pro-biotic and technological properties of LAB. Authentication of microorganisms with modern techniques
- Control of microbial quality and assurance
- Risk analysis
- Microbial alteration and shelf life of foods
- Sensory evaluation of foods
KOTINO S.A. was founded in 2000 in Nea Artaki, Evia. The relationship of its people with poultry farming is of course much older, based on the unique tradition of the region. The accumulated knowledge and valuable experience of decades has been the safe basis for starting a demanding effort. The goal, the challenge of modern times, was the modernization of tradition. It is a veritable poultry breeding enterprise (broiler), with key values the respect for tradition, product quality and consumer safety. Our commitment to these values is demonstrated by the fact that we are among the first companies in the industry to have a certified quality management system based on the ISO 9001 standard and food safety under the ISO 22000 standard, as well as by developing innovative quality products such as CLASSIC ROOSTER, “FARMHOUSE CHICKEN”, breaded, pre-cooked products, “FARMHOUSE SAUSAGE”, HANDMADE PREPARATIONS (Burgers, Kebab, Roll, Souvlaki, Gyros etc), Chicken rich in Omega3 fatty acids.
The production process starts with the placement of the chicks in the poultry farm chambers located in the prefectures of Evia, Viotia and Attica, with a total sheltered surface of 35,000 square meters. The breeding of the chicks is done either by the company (self-production) or it is assigned to cooperating poultry farmers, always under the instructions and strict control of KOTINO. Production of broiler feed is made at the company's poultry feed factory located in Nea Artaki, which has a production capacity of 6 tons / hour. The transfer of the poultry feed to the production units is carried out by privately owned means of transport (silo trucks). When live chicken reach the desired weight, they are led to the slaughterhouse, which has a capacity of 3,600 units / hour. Then the fresh products are transported for processing, standardization and distribution to our new installations (since April 16) in Kryoneri, Attica. The distribution of end-products to customers is done by privately owned means of transport (refrigerator trucks).
The company sells a wide range of chicken-based products (whole, sliced, processed, pre-cooked), fresh or frozen. It also sells all the raw materials necessary for chicken breeding, i.e. poultry feed, chicks, vaccines - antiseptics - antimicrobials and LPG. Our main goal is to broaden our products-range, by producing new innovative and quality products. Our main customers are butchers, bakeries, meat processing units, wholesalers, super markets and retailers.
VERTOYO O.E. (trade style: VERTOYO), was founded in 2011 in Nea Artaki / Chalkida. Its duration is indefinite. The line of business of the company includes:
1) the research, development and sale of innovative applications, services and products of technology, telecommunication and applications software in Greece and abroad,
2) advisory services, customer service through innovative technologies (telephone, internet) & related services to the above activities,
3) the services and development of Internet applications, marketing, financial & communication services, business management consulting services. VERTOYO is a leading company in Greece in the development of enterprise software over the Internet. Its activities focus on the design and implementation of integrated and advanced technology solutions in the following areas: Digital World, Cloud Computing & Hosting, IT Professional Services, R&D, E-Commerce, E-Travel, CMS and Wifi Integrated Solutions. VERTOYO executives have extensive experience in business and commercial development and the company offers the most advanced and competitive products as well as integrated software solutions for Operators, Finance, Retail & FMCG, and Public Sector & Government. The company has also been selected and involved in R&D projects through the program Horizon 2020. The main services / products are:
- Vertoyo Digital Platform: a modern, reliable, powerful backend and web development platform, with a content management system that supports integrated e-commerce solutions (eTravel & Retail / FMCG)
- WiCube Internet Station – WiFi Data & Mobile Engagement Services: an efficient, scalable, high-end platform that enables enterprises to provide immediate and free internet access to their customers in a branded, secure and measurable way, and at the same time have at their disposal an integrated instrument to manage and display advertising or informational material.
- IT Professional Services: specialized services that support VERTOYO's solutions, but are also offered independently, according to client’s needs and requirements and cover the following areas:
- Web Portals / CMS Design & Development
- Mobile Apps Design & Development (iOS & Android)
- Advisory & Consulting Services
- Operation Stabilization & Performance Optimization Services
- Project Management & Business Analysis Services
- Technical Project Management - Vendors Management
- Software Testing & QA Services
- Vertoyo CloudBenefIT – Support Services: flexible, reliable, high-end Cloud Hosting & Support.